Today I have the day off so I go out to the garage figure I would take one last glance over of the refinished Mosin project and then assemble it and put the action on. Over the past few days I have sprayed it with quick thin coats of clear coat when I have had a spare moment. All in all I ended up with 2 coats of primer, 2 coats of enamel paint and 3 coats of clear coat. Even though one commenter on one forum attacked my paint job I am pretty happy with it. Sure there are a few parts that I wish looked a little smoother but this was my first project of this sort and I was working with it as a learning experience just as much as a practical refinish.
So after being happy with the finish I assemble it and tighten the screws on the action so far all went well. THEN I tried to put the barrel bands on and in the process scraped off a fair amount of the paint on the front of the rifle. Apparently the layers of paint were a little thicker than anticipated and they slid off under the pressure of the band sliding over them. I finally got the bands in place and then had to go back and do some touch up painting being careful not to get paint on the bands or barrel.